Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Losing meme virginity

I vowed I don't actually have time for memes, but since I got tagged twice, once by Pleion, and once by Observations of a Nerd, I suppose I should oblige. I normally don't like to do things without thinking a lot about them. I mean a lot. So, I think it would take me a long time to feel satisfied I could really do this meme right. I mean a long time. Like more than 1 life time. But, since I can't now indulge in thinking of great science books for a few life times, I will name some off the top of my head:

The meme:
Imagine: YOU are asked to assign a half-dozen-or-so books as required reading for ALL science majors at a college as part of their 4-year degree; NOT technical or text books, but other works, old or new, touching upon the nature of science, philosophy, thought, or methodology in a way that a practicing scientist might gain from.

1. Darwin, C. R. 1881. The formation of vegetable mould, through the action of worms, with observations on their habits.

2. Thompson, D. 1917. On growth and form.

3. Capra, F. 1975. The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

4. Gould S.J. 1989. Wonderful Life. paired with Conway-Morris. Life's Solution: Ineviteble Humans in a lonely universe.

5. Kuhn. T. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

6. Tufte. E. The visual display of scientific information



I won't tag other blogs though. I don't like to promote pyramid schemes, in general.

4 comments:

Epiphenom said...

Oh go on! Clicking back through the chain of links is fascinating. I found some interesting blogs that way. :)

unknown said...

Oh really, you are in the ultimate pyramid scheme - it's called academia.

Todd Oakley said...

GirlPostdoc - Touche

Anonymous said...

Good choices! Darwin's earthworms with the Tao of Physics? Terrific...
(Nice to meet you, by the way...I'll be back to read more sometime.)